We are committed to the privacy of individuals and meet the requirements of the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) in how we collect, use or disclose personal information.
While we’ll always do our best to answer your privacy questions, you can get lots of free privacy information from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner www.oaic.gov.au
As recruiters, we get a lot of resumes and information sent to us. Unfortunately, sometimes this means we may decline to collect unsolicited personal information from individuals. In that case, we won’t hold onto that information.
What is ‘Personal Information’ and what kinds of Personal Information does Recruitment Hive collect?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. During the provision of our services, we may collect your personal information. Generally, the kinds of personal information we collect include:
- contact and identification details (e.g. name, address, email address and phone number) so we can get in touch if we need to;
- information about your education and work history, qualifications and skills so we can match you to roles;
- other’s opinions about your work performance (whether true or not). We will only speak to referees you refer us to;
- information that confirms you have the right to work within Australia. This information might include details, copies (including images and photos) or presentation of the originals of a visa, passport, birth or citizenship certificate, or other relevant documents;
- sensitive information (e.g. information about your health, medical history or specific condition, criminal record, professional memberships). We will only collect this with your consent;
- results of any tests you take as part our or our clients’ processes;
- any personal information about training programs you undertake;
- your tax file number and relevant bank and superannuation information so we can pay you and make superannuation contributions, and ensure we pay all the taxes we need to pay;
- your driver’s licence number and relevant information about your driving history or infringements, and any other licences and certificates that you might need for a role; and
- additional information that is relevant to us being able to provide our services.
We have listed all of the information we usually collect and hold, but we might also maintain other personal information provided by you.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
Generally, we will collect personal information when you complete an application form or submit your resume, attend an interview, or otherwise provide us with personal information in person or via telephone, email or other means, whether at our request or your initiative.
We may also collect personal information from a source other than you when:
- you apply for a role or submit your resume through our website or a third-party website, application or service;
- we undertake reference checks with or receive references or performance feedback (whether negative or positive). We only conduct reference checks with your consent;
- we receive results of any medical tests or criminal history checks (you have to consent to these);
- we receive results from any other online process or testing including but not limited to assessments, induction courses and background checks carried out on our behalf or a client’s behalf;
- we check or assess your eligibility to work within Australia;
- we receive any complaint from or about you in the workplace;
- we collect information about a workplace accident that involves you or your workplace injury; and
- we receive any information about any insurance investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry which concerns you.
We might collect your personal information from other sources such as an information services provider, your employer or ex-employer or a publicly maintained record, including public records via social media platforms like LinkedIn and Facebook. Generally, we only collect your personal information from other sources if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect your personal information from you.
Why do we need your Personal Information?
Recruitment Hive collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information to provide you with recruitment or work placement services, or other services through a Site. We handle and disclose your personal information to facilitate, or in connection with:
- an offer of employment or engagement with our client;
- your actual or potential work placements with our clients;
- undertaking performance appraisals for your work placements with our clients;
- any test, assessments or checks (including medical tests and assessments and criminal record checks) that you undergo to assess your suitability for a potential work placement with our client;
- identifying, assessing or facilitating your training needs;
- any necessary workplace rehabilitation during, or for, a current or future work placement with our client per applicable legislation;
- a complaint, investigation or inquiry that concerns you; or
- any insurance claim linked to your current or previous work placements with our client.
We may also collect, hold, use or disclose your personal information for:
- administrative and business management purposes;
- marketing purposes and to identify and inform you of products, services and training courses that may be of interest to you;
- our internal recruitment processes; and
- any other legal requirement.
Where your personal information is used or disclosed, we take steps reasonable to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed.
You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to us. However, we may not be able to offer services to you without certain information from you or where you provide inaccurate or incomplete information.
Who receives your Personal Information from us?
- our clients, who may be your potential or actual employer or a host employer;
- your referees;
- our other staff and other associated entities;
- other organisations to recommend and facilitate courses or programs for you to upgrade your skills;
- our insurers;
- a professional association or registration body if its relevant to our services or otherwise with your consent;
- a workers compensation body per applicable legislation;
- our contractors and suppliers and professional advisors;
- any other entity, with your consent, or to whom disclosure is required or authorised by law; and
- any other third parties engaged to perform administrative or other services.
This disclosure is always on a confidential basis, or as required by law.
How your information is collected and used
If you are a client of Recruitment Hive, we collect information that is reasonably necessary for us to provide the best recruitment solutions for you and your business needs. The main types of information we collect about our clients include:
- your contact details;
- details of your job title/description and organisational needs; and
- records of our interaction with you and your confidential feedback about a candidate.
We collect information about you are when:
- we meet you or communicate with you; or
- you provide your opinion or confidential feedback about a candidate.
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to provide you with recruitment or work placement services.
The type of information that we typically collect and hold about referees is information about the suitability of a candidate for particular jobs or particular types of work. It might include:
- information about you and your preferred contact details;
- your opinions regarding the candidate’s character and work performance or work environment; and
- facts or evidence in support of those opinions, sometimes involving your knowledge and experience of having worked with the candidate.
We may collect certain information when you visit our websites, mobile sites, applications and social media pages (Sites). For example, our servers receive and record information about your computer, device and browser, including potentially your IP address, browser type, and other software or hardware information.
If you subscribe to a Site, fill in an online registration form or send us an email via the email link on a Site, we may collect your name, contact details and other personal information to enable us to provide information per your preferences.
If you use a mobile or another device to access Sites, we may collect a unique device identifier assigned to that device, location data, or other transactional information from that device.
Any cookies we use are to remember your Site preferences. They may be used to collect and store information such as pages you have visited, content you have viewed, search queries you have run and viewed advertisements on the Site and other websites you have visited.
We will not disclose your personal information to an overseas recipient.
We may use and disclose your personal information to inform you of products and services via email, SMS, mail or other forms of communication, per the Spam Act and the Privacy Act. If you do not wish to receive such notifications, you can opt-out by contacting us via the contact details set out below or through the provided opt-out mechanism.
Security of your Personal Information
We understand the importance of your privacy and takes all reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we hold is protected against misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We retain personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff.
We will destroy or de‑identify personal information where we no longer require it unless we are required or authorised by law to retain the information.
Accessing and correcting Personal Information held by Recruitment Hive
We take steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the personal information we hold is accurate, up‑to‑date, complete, relevant and not misleading. If at any time you would like to access or correct your personal information, or you would like more information on our approach to privacy, please contact Recruitment Hive via the contact details set out below.
We may be unable to provide access to personal information if access would impact the privacy rights of others. A good example is where a referee provides an opinion confidentially. We will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the law, and we will also take reasonable steps to correct personal information if it is necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
- you will have to provide proof of identity to ensure we only provide personal information to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- Recruitment Hive requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
- Recruitment Hive may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to Recruitment Hive to provide you access.
Recruitment Hive will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days.
If Recruitment Hive refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, Recruitment Hive will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms. Recruitment Hive will also take steps reasonable in the circumstance to provide you with access in a manner that meets your needs and the needs of Recruitment Hive.
Information Statement: Your rights as a candidate in New South Wales and Queensland
Recruitment Hive will not charge you a fee to find employment including in contravention of section 400 of the QLD Industrial Relations Act 2016.
Recruitment Hive will not engage in misleading or deceptive conduct (such as advertising a position as being available when we know no such position exists or knowingly giving misleading information to you about the nature of a position). We will make all placements as required under applicable legislation.
Recruitment Hive and our employees have a working knowledge of State and Commonwealth legislation affecting the placement and employment of persons seeking work.
You contact the relevant department (e.g. Office of Fair Trading in NSW or the Department of Justice and Attorney-General in QLD, GPO Box 69, Brisbane, 4001) for information on available actions.
Please direct all privacy complaints to Recruitment Hive via the contact details below.
At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with confidentially; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or change the commercial arrangements between you and Recruitment Hive.
Recruitment Hive will commence an investigation into your complaint. We will inform you of the outcome once we complete the investigation. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
How to contact us